U.K. Office Creates a Workplace That Welcomes All
Above all, we will continue to enhance and embed DEI processes wherever possible and provide tools to empower our workforce.
For people to thrive, they must be allowed and encouraged to express and to discover their true selves. For an organization to thrive, it must therefore foster a comfortable and safe environment where all people, including those whose background and beliefs may be underrepresented, feel they belong and can advance.
RGA understands this reality and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) throughout its global enterprise. At RGA UK, we have embraced this company-wide mandate with full support from our local leadership. Together we have implemented awareness initiatives, created affinity groups, and are integrating DEI into all aspects of our work.
This enhanced focus on DEI at RGA UK took shape over a period of years, growing out of an initiative to establish mental health as a workplace priority. Success in this area of employee well-being taught us the value of serving the needs of the whole person, and momentum built from there.
Formal and informal efforts around gender equity, LGBTQ+ support, and other DEI-related issues followed. After working with dedicated teams at all levels of our local organization to build out our strategy, we entered execution mode in 2021 and accomplished a great deal. Notable achievements among many include the following:
- Received the Gold award in the 2020-2021 Mind Workplace Wellbeing Index for successfully embedding mental health wellness into policies and practices.
- Moved up more than 200 places since 2020 in the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index, a benchmarking tool to measure progress in LGBTQ+ inclusion in the workplace.
- Developed a formal policy for transgender inclusion and gender transitioning at work.
- Committed to the Association of British Insurers (ABI) Making Flexible Work Charter.
- Committed to hire our first intern as part of the 10,000 Black Interns Programme.
- Implemented training in inclusive management and unconscious bias.
- Organized a webinar for RGA EMEA on inclusivity in the insurance sector.
Looking ahead, we plan to pursue strategic goals around building awareness, ensuring an inclusive workplace and workforce, and fostering an engaging community. We intend to build on our success from 2021 to accomplish even more in the coming years across the full spectrum of DEI issues, including challenges around age, gender, ethnicity, and social mobility. We understand that to make real progress we must be able measure it and will be initiating a data collection campaign to make that possible.
Above all, we will continue to enhance and embed DEI processes wherever possible and provide tools to empower our workforce. From the highest levels of the company, DEI is a genuine commitment at RGA, and in the U.K. we want to help inspire progress.